Due to the high refurbishment and ongoing maintenance costs of a number of critical assets within the Eltham and Research North Water Supply Systems, Yarra Valley Water have undertaken a review of the operational efficiency of these zones. Comdain were engaged by Yarra Valley Water to undertake the design and construction of civil, mechanical and electrical upgrades, refurbishment and decommissioning of several critical assets in the zone.
- Decommissioning and removal of Pump Stations WPS060 & WPS177 and PRV’s 3 & 4 of WBS094.
- Design and installation of a new pump station WPS185 and associated works. The pump station included Duty-Standby 45kW main pumps with a 15kW jacking pump and twin 80L accumulators.
- Decommissioning and Demolition of pump station WPS080 in Eltham and the Research North Elevated Tank.
- Various modifications to MSCL buried pipework to support the water supply zone reconfiguration objectives across all three sites of the project.
- Reinstatement works to improve safe access and operability of services.
Highlights & Innovations
- Imperative that the works limited the impact to Yarra Valley Water Customers. This was achieved by careful testing and sequencing; offsite acceptance testing prior to modification and validation of operation prior to decommissioning.
- Complete refurbishment of electrical infrastructure to achieve functional requirement while reducing equipment footprint and raising site to current electrical design standard.
- Integration of common skid mounted pump set and associated equipment into existing pump station building which reduced overall installation timeframe and downtime.